Monday, July 28, 2008

I Want to Believe


A review in defense of the new X-Files movie, "I Want to Believe"
*note: As a huge fan of the series I am extremely biased*

I've heard many complain that "The X-Files: I Want to Believe" isn't "intelligent" enough and that "hard-core fans will be disappointed." Bullshit. I think the reviewers were expecting a film like "Fight the Future"...instead they got a movie that was like an uncensored version of the early episodes. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The film is full of the same witty, snarky and delightfully sarcastic remarks that endeared Mulder and Scully to so many viewers. It makes references to the series that only fans would recognize and appreciate...and most importantly you get to see two characters that have been greatly missed. Was the plot a little thin? Admittedly, yes. Was some of the acting less than stellar? Again, yes (When, oh when, will misguided casting directors stop giving roles to rappers that have absolutely no acting skills?) Do those things really matter? Not to me. Frankly, it could have been 2 hours of them playing checkers and I would have been thrilled. Make sure you stay through the credits though as you are rewarded with a nice little ending...one which definitively answers (at least in my mind) the question of whether or not there will ever be another X-Files film.
So there you have it...my review that manages to give away absolutely nothing
(except the fact that I'm a massive geek). Good on me for not including any spoilers.

If you would like the opinion of someone less biased, I suggest reading Brian Lowry's review in Variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment